Google Brotli compression module for Microsoft IIS
Brotli is an open source data compression library from Google, it improves on gzip's compression ratio by roughly 17-25%.
We-Amp B.V. has made Brotli available for Microsoft IIS. Depending on the version of IIS, the installer installs the module either as compression scheme or native http module.
- Brotli compression improves on the built-in IIS gzip compression ratio by roughly 17-25%.
- Brotli -11 density compared to gzip -9:
HTML (multi-language corpus): 25 % savings
Minified js (Alexa top 10k): 17 % savings
CSS (Alexa top 10k): 20 % savings
- Brotli encoding is currently only requested by browsers for https requests, to avoid trouble with bad intermediaries (proxies).
- Dynamically generated content needs it Content-Type header to be set in order te be compressed.
Brotli browser support
- Firefox: 44+ (on by default)
- Chrome: 49+ (not by default, but can be enabled)
- Edge: 15+ (on by default)